The Forest Research Institute University shall admit the students to the M.Sc. courses, through entrance examination.
System of admission
An advertisement will be made in at least three leading national news papers sometime in January / February inviting applications for admission to the programmes to be conducted by the Institute. The number of seats fixed and advertised will not be generally changed. However the Institute has the right to withdraw the programme / programmes offered by it due to operational difficulties in a particular academic Year / session.
Reservation for scheduled castes / tribes, OBC
15 percent of the total available seats shall be reserved for scheduled castes and seven and 7.5 percent for scheduled tribes candidate subject to their being otherwise suitable. These reservations shall be interchangeable i.e. if sufficient number of candidates are not available to fill up the seats reserved for scheduled tribes candidates, these can be filled up from among suitable scheduled castes candidates within the programme concerned. The quota fixed for scheduled castes tribes cannot be de-reserved even if none of the scheduled caste/ tribe candidate qualify for admission in a particular course. The reservation to OBC is being provided as per the policy of the Govt. of India.
The eligibility requirements and other allied matters relating to admission to the M.Sc. programme, Post Masters Diploma and Post-graduate Diploma courses shall be decided by the Academic Council from time to time. The qualifications of M.Sc. programmes, Post Masters Diploma and Post-graduate courses fixed by the Academic Council are as follows:-
- M.Sc FORESTRY: Bachelor’s degree in Science with at least one of the subject namely Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics and Zoology or a Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or Forestry.
- M.Sc WOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: Bachelor’s degree with Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry or B.Sc. degree in Forestry.
- M.Sc ENVIRONMENT MANAGEMENT: Three years Bachelor’s degree in any branch of basic or applied Sciences or Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or Agriculture or BE in Environment Science.
- M.Sc. CELLULOSE & PAPER TECHNOLOGY: Three years Bachelors' Degree in Science with Chemistry as one of the subject, BE/ B.Tech. (Chemical or Mechanical Engineering).
Procedure for application
- Application for admission shall be made on the prescribed form obtainable from the Registrar, Forest Research Institute University, Dehra Dun. The application form and the Information Bulletin can be had either in person or by post on payment of Rs.1200/- through Bank Draft in favour of Registrar Forest Research Institute University payable at Dehra Dun. The cost of the form mentioned above is subject to review and change from time to time.
- Each application form shall bear a serial number. This number and the course which admission is sought must be quoted in all correspondence regarding admission in the Institute.
- All correspondence for admission should be addressed to the Registrar, Forest Research Institute University, Dehra Dun.
- Application duly filled in legibly and correctly in applicant’s own handwriting should be sent with accompanying set of document completed in all respect so as to reach the Registrar, Forest Research Institute University P.O I.P.E. Kaulagarh, Dehra Dun on or before the last date. Postal delay will not be accepted as plea to entertain application after the last date.
- In case a candidate has appeared for the degree examination required for admission and the result of the same had not been announced at the time of submission of application form or by the last date prescribed the application may still be completed in all respect / except the degree result and should be submitted to the Registrar, Forest Research Institute University on or before the last date. The degree result (Mark sheet) should reach the officer of be furnished as soon as the same becomes available. However, the degree result (Mark sheet) should reach the officer of the Institute FRI (Deemed) University on or before the date fixed for admission of candidate concerned failing which he/ she shall not be admitted treating his/ her admission form as incomplete.
- In the case a candidate coming from an University/Institute following the programme credit system the application shall be considered even though the final viva voce is yet to be considered provided a full transcript is enclosed showing the grade point average obtained along with a course Completion Certificate from the Registrar of the University/Institute/Head of the College Dean / Associated Dean of campus of multi campus, universities/ institutes to the effect that the candidate has completed all the prescribed course work. The certificate issued this regard by the Heads of the Department / Division shall not be entertained. However, at the time of admission a certificate shall have to be produced from the Registrar/ Head of the College, Dean Associate Dean of the campus of multi-campus universities stating clearly that the candidate has passed the last degree examination, failing which the candidate shall not be admitted and his/her application form for admission stands cancelled.
- The candidate must in his/her own interest fill up the application form most carefully and ensure that all certificates required are attached. All enclosures must be page numbered. Incomplete application shall not consider and may reject out right.
- Attested copies of the following certificates/documents shall be enclosed along with the admission application form:
- Proof of date of birth
- Matriculation or equivalent certificate & Marksheet
- Pre-university examination Certificate, Marksheet if applicable
- Higher secondary examination Certificate, Marksheet if applicable
- Intermediate Examination Certificate, Marksheet if applicable
- Bachelor’s degree Certificate and Marksheet
- Master’s Degree Certificate and Marksheet (in case of application for Post-graduate Diploma courses).
- Course completion certificate is required in the case of candidates coming from a University/Institute following the course credit system. The certificate from the Registrar of the Institute/University/Principal of College/Dean/Associate Dean should certify to the effect that the candidate has completed all the prescribed course work (Certificate from officials other than those four mentioned above shall not be entertained).
- Scheduled Caste/Tribe/OBC certificate from District magistrate or authorities empowered to issue certificate of verification issued not more than six months before the date of application.
- Character certificate issued by Principal/Head of the Department/ Dean/Registrar of the College/Institute/University last attended.
- One recent passport size photograph to be affixed in the space provided in the application form and two other for office record. Production of original certificates and mark sheets at the time of admission is an essential requirement, which is not relax-able in any case under any circumstance. If any document submitted by the candidate is found to be false at any stage during his/her study at the Forest Research Institute University his/her admission shall be cancelled.
Eligibility for the written test
- Candidate to be called for the written test shall have a minimum qualification prescribed for the purpose for the various courses.
- There will be a written test for admission to M.Sc. Courses and Post Master Diploma Course on the following subjects:
- Basic Sciences including Social Scienc
- Arithmetic and Quantitative abilities, Computational ability, Quantitative reasoning, Interpretation of Tables, Graphs, etc.
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- English Language, Comprehension, Vocabulary, Grammar, Idioms, etc.
There will be negative marking of ¼ extent of marks allotted to the question/part of the question concerned in the case of wrong answer.
- The minimum qualifying marks for allowing candidate in appearing in the written test shall be 50 percent in aggregate at B.Sc. level/M.Sc. level prescribed for admission to the different courses in respect of general category candidates and 45 percent aggregate in respect of SC/ST candidate.
- Candidates selected for written test based on the academic requirement will be informed of the date, time and venue of written test through a letter under certificate of posting duly signed by and bearing the official stamp of the FRI (Deemed) University Office.
- In case there is any change in the date of examination for some unforeseen reasons the final date will be indicated in the written test call letter.
Procedure for written test and preparation of merit list
- A programme – wise merit list shall be prepared based on the performance of the candidate in the written test. For SC/ST/OBC the merit list shall be prepared separately course-wise.
- The Registrar/Director will decide the manner of conducting the written test and other relevant details.
- The written test paper(s) will be evaluated in a manner decided by the Registrar/Director.
- The marks in the written test of the candidates shall be kept confidential with the authority/official appointed by the Director to conduct the test. The written test marks shall be totaled and on the basis of total marks a list of candidates in descending order of merit shall be prepared in respect of all candidates. The SC/ST candidates will be shown as a distinct and their merit shall also be shown separately.
Announcement of results and admission
- Candidate shall be selected in order of merit on the basis of total marks secured at the written test provided they have secured the minimum qualifying marks i.e. 15% in case of general candidate whereas in the case of SC/ST admission shall be made as per Govt. of India Rules.
- The final list of candidates to be admitted to different courses on the basis of the seats allotted to each course shall be approved by the Admission Committee constituted by the Director for each course and the results will be notified thereafter. The notification shall be displayed on the Notice Board of the FRI (Deemed) University and the individual candidates would be informed of their results by post.
- The notification announcing the names of the selected candidates for each course shall of two parts viz.
- Regular list and 2. waiting list. The seats will first be offered to the qualified candidates in order of merit unto number of seats available in each course. The names of the remaining qualified candidates in the merit list shall be kept in the waiting list in the order of merit.
- The seats reserved for SC/ST/OBC candidates shall be offered to only SC/ST candidates in order of merit.
- If SC/ST candidates secure seats on their own merit in competition with general candidates, they shall not be counted against the reserved quota.
- The selected candidates will have to pay the prescribed fees and join the course by the due date notified.
- The Registrar/Dean; however in exceptional cases and in consultation with the course coordinator concerned, grant extension of the date of joining.
- If the candidate does not join by the prescribed date or if no extension has been asked for and granted, the admission shall stand cancelled automatically and the seat shall be offered to the candidate in the waiting list in order of merit.
- If any newly admitted student leaves the course/discontinues his/her studies before the last date for admission to the course then seat shall be offered to the candidate in the waiting list in order of merit.
- The number of seats already allocated by the Academic Council to each course shall in no case be increased to accommodate the candidates in the waiting list.
- The validity of select list and waiting list shall cease within one month from the last date given to first list of select candidate to deposit the fee or the last date fixed by the Admission Committee for close of admission to the course concerned.
- Candidates called for admission have to produce before the secretary of the Admission Committee of each course concerned original certificates, mark sheets etc. before the payment of fees. However, in cases where the original marks sheets indicates clearly that the candidate has passed the qualifying examination prescribed for admission he/she be admitted on the condition that he/she shall produce the original degree/provisional degree within one month failing which his/her admission is liable to be cancelled. The admission on the basis of attested mark sheet/degree shall not be given in any case. There can be no appeal to any authority if the candidate fails to produce the original documents at the time of admission.
- Letter to waiting list candidate requesting him to seek admission of the seat remaining vacant, is by itself no guarantee of admission to the course concerned.
- In case of equal marks in written test the following criteria shall be adopted for taking admission in the course concerned:
- Preference will be given to the candidates who have higher aggregate percentage of marks in the qualifying examination.
- In case the candidates have equal marks in the above stated examination then the candidate senior in age will be given preference.