The Academic Council is principal academic body of the Institute and shall subject to the provisions to the Memorandum of Association and the Rules and Bye-Laws shall have the control over and be responsible for the maintenance of standards of education, teaching and training, inter departmental co-ordination, research, examinations and tests with in the Institute and shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be imposed or conferred upon it by the Rules and Bye-Laws.
The Academic Council consist of the following persons, namely:
|1||Director/ Vice Chancellor||Chairperson|
|2||Dean(s) of Faculties||Member|
|3||Heads of Division of Institute||Member|
|4||Ten Professors other than Heads of the Departments (by rotation of seniority)||Member|
|5||Three Associate Professors from the Departments other than the Heads of the Departments by rotation of seniority||Member|
|6||Three Assistant Professors from the Departments by rotation of seniority||Member|
|7||Three persons from amongst educationist of repute or persons from any other field related to the activities of the Institute deemed to be University who are not in the service of the Institution deemed to be University, nominated by the Vice –Chancellor.||Member|
|8||Three persons who are not members of the Teaching staff
co-opted by the Academic Council for their specialized
|9||The Registrar, who shall be the Secretary of the Academic Council||Secretary|
Note: The representation of different categories shall be only through rotation and not through election. It may also be ensured that no particular faculty dominates the membership of the Council.
The term of member other than ex-officio members shall be two years. They shall not be eligible to continue further unless everyone has completed one term.
POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE ACADEMIC COUNCIL
The Academic Council is the principal academic body of the Institute and shall, in addition to all other powers and duties vested in it, have the following powers and duties viz.,
- To exercise general supervision over the academic work of the Institute and to give directions regarding methods of instruction, evaluation or research or improvements in academic standards.
- To promote research within the institute, acquire reports on such researchers from time to time.
- To consider matters of academic interest either on its own initiative or at the instance of the Board of Management and to take proper action there-on.
- To make arrangements for the conduct of examinations in conformity with the bye-laws.
- To maintain proper standards for the examinations.
- To recognize diplomas and degrees of Universities and other Institutions and to determine equivalence with the diplomas and degrees of the Institute.
- To prescribe courses of study leading to degrees and diplomas of the Institute.
- To appoint examiners, moderators, tabulators, and such other personal for different examinations.
- To suggest measures for departmental co-ordination.
- To make recommendations to the Board of Management on:
- Measures for improvement of standards of teaching, training and research.
- Institution of fellowships, traveling, Scholarships, Medals, Prizes, etc.
- Establishment or abolition of Department/Centers, Bye-Laws covering the academic functioning of the Institute, discipline, residence, admissions, examinations, award of fellowship and Studentships, Free ships, concessions, attendance, etc.
- To appoint sub-committees to advise on such species matters as may be referred to it by the Board of Management.
- To consider the recommendations of the sub-committees and to take such action (including making of recommendations to the Board of Management) as the circumstances on each case may requisite.
- To take periodical review of the activities of the departments / centers and to take appropriate action (including making of recommendations to the Board of Management) with a view to maintaining and improving the standards of Institution/ Institute.
- To exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by the rules and bye-laws.
- To recommend institution of Teaching Posts-Professors, Readers, lecturers to the Board of Management.
Minutes of the meetings of Academic Council
- Minutes of Academic Council meeting held on 03.03.2017
- Minutes of Academic Council meeting held on 28.12.2017
- Minutes of Academic Council meeting held on 14.08.2018
- Minuted of Academic Council meeting held on 30.11.2018